Kernel Text Comparison

Hi everyone,
I am working on a program that checks the integrity of the kernel code to detect the presence of kernel rootkits. As a first step I am trying to compare the text section of vmlinux with the text area dumped from memory. I understand that vmlinux has no relocation entries and no unresolved symbols, so the memory image and vmlinux should compare equal.

I used hexdump on vmlinux and /dev/mem to compare the two, I find that for most part of it they compare equal, but they differ in some bytes scattered all over the text. Is my understanding flawed? It would be great if somebody could explain why the memory image is different from vmlinux.

The kernel version I am working on is 2.6.23.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vijay