Re: How to create a patch set ?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:10:05AM +0200, Ian Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>  I saw that sometimes patches are sent to the LKML not as a single
> but as a set (patch 1/3, patch 2/3, patch 3/3).
>
> I assume that this has to do with the size of the patch (or maybe
> it is according to different things what the patch does?)

Each patch is a logical step toward the end result that should be able
to function by itself.  This not only makes the code easier to review,
but also to debug using something like git bisect.

> What are the rules for sending patches as a set ?
> How can I create a patch set with git diff ? should I use
> git-format-patch ? any good tutorials/info on sending patches to
> the LKML ?

If you are already using git then the easiest way to create a patch
series is with something like "git format-patch -n origin/master" which
will make a patch for each commit in your current branch that is not in
the upstream origin/master.  You can then use your email client of
choice, or git send-email to send the series out.

As a second tip you may find You need to fix up one of your earlier
commits, or perhaps reorder them.  To do this you can use
"git rebase -i origin/master"