Re: 3 goals of a newbie - please guide

I went through this and it started me in the right direction:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/drivers_linux

On Dec 7, 2007 1:14 AM, Amogh Hooshdar <amoghhooshdar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have knowledge of assembly language. I am good at C programming. I
have learnt to write "hello world" type of kernel modules using
printk() statements. I know nothing else about kernel programming. I
want to become a kernel hacker. I am a newbie at the moment. To begin
with, I have 3 goals.

1. To understand how the Linux kernel first boots. To make sure that I
have got hold of the correct code, I want to insert a "hello world"
message in the booting code such that my "hello world" message is
displayed along with other important messages while booting.

2. To understand how the kernel reads input from the keyboard and
prints output on the screen. To test my understanding, I would like to
modify the kernel to log all key strokes in a file.

3. How we can send out signals or electric pulses to a particular
port, say USB port. I would like to test my understanding by writing a
kernel module or something that sends out voltage from the USB port or
anything else that would light up an LED or 3 V bulb.

If some question of mine doesn't make sense, please tell me so and
guide me what I should study and work on to accomplish my first 3
goals in this field.