Re: debugging modprobe calls with /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Rene Herman wrote:

> On 29-11-07 10:15, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   from Documentation/debugging-modules.txt:
> >
> > The correct way of debugging module problems is something like this:
> >
> > echo '#! /bin/sh' > /tmp/modprobe
> > echo 'echo "$@" >> /tmp/modprobe.log' >> /tmp/modprobe
> > echo 'exec /sbin/modprobe "$@"' >> /tmp/modprobe
> > chmod a+x /tmp/modprobe
> > echo /tmp/modprobe > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
> >
> >   i just tried that, and it seemed to have no effect.  is there
> > something i might have overlooked?  can someone else try that and see
> > if they get a different outcome?  thanks.
>
> Yes, works for me. Exactly the above (ofcourse, make sure you're root for the
> final line) and after that kmod calls on /tmp/modprobe. Ie, when mounting a
> vfat partition after that (which autoloads a few modules):
>
> root@7ixe4:/home/rene# mount /mnt/windows/
> root@7ixe4:/home/rene# cat /tmp/modprobe.log
> -q -- vfat
> -q -- nls_cp437
> -q -- nls_iso8859-1

yes, based on a thread we had going on LKML earlier, the above will
work if it's the *kernel* that loads the module (via the autoload
facility).  however, if you were to manually modprobe that vfat
module before using it, the above wouldn't work.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca