will changes in config file affect kernel modules

Title: will changes in config file affect kernel modules

Hi All,

Is there anything to do with the kernel .config file and kernel modules?
Because the same kernel modules which were running properly gives me "invalid module format" on the same kernel  with few changes made in the .config file.

Actually the earlier kernel wasn't compiled with debug options. Now i wanted to build the kernel with all hacking options enabled. So i changed the .config file, but the earlier modules are not loading with this debug kernel. As i don't have the src code of kernel modules, i've become panic.
I am using PPC arch m/c with 2.6.14.7 kernel.

Please help me.

Thanks
Ashok