pblm getting size of files during fetching to page cache

hi everyone

For past  few days i have been working in the kernel page cache
datastructures just for some optimizations....and while using them i
came across a necessity to have have the size of those files which are
put into cache. i thought it would be easy, for from 'address_space'
datastructure i could access 'inode' and then 'i_size'.

but the PROBLEM is that while accessing this field during the fetching
of any file to page cache this field value starts from 0 and goes on
increasing.. (as a matter multiple of page size) . why is it so??
i thought we could get a file size from the field i_size...

So my question is ..is there any way to get file size of any file during
kernel booting....and also if possible can any one explain the above
behaviour???

with regards
ajc
--
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in
harmony