STDOUT, procfs

Hi All,
 I'm about to start work on a new kernel module to suit some hardware I have here, but I had a few questions which need answering first.

The object of the module is simply to update a register in the hardware at regular intervals. I intend to rip off the sample at http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x1211.html , and place my own functions in the interrupt handler to do the job. The hardware manufacturer has supplied a library of pre-compiled functions to talk to the hardware for me. However, the functions in the library all print information to STDOUT when they are called, and there's not much I can do to stop it. Is this a bad thing? What happens when a kernel module attempts to write to STDOUT (or STDERR, for that matter, I'm not really sure yet which one it uses)?

On another note, I will need to communicate with my module, to tell it what values to write. The guide I pointed out has procedures for writing to a procfs file from whithin a module, but I can't see anything on how to get information from userspace into the module, ie how can I pick up if somebody writes to my /proc file? I also saw somewhere on kernelnewbies.org that procfs is deprecated and I should use devfs instead. Can anyone point me to a howto on using devfs?

Regards,
             Leigh

Leigh Sharpe
Network Systems Engineer