Re: Getting virtual address

On 21-11-07 21:12, Rene Herman wrote:

On 21-11-07 04:44, Talib Alim wrote:

Either that or somehow arrange that you'll never be passed a highmem page to begin with as highmem pages by their nature of not being permanently mapped do not _have_ a virtual address until after they're mapped.

How would you arrange so I am passed a higmem page ?

Assumed "not passed". Depends. As said, in the block layer it's a matter of not telling anyone you know what highmem is. I don't know if/how other subsystems provide for it.

Due to another kernelnewbies post just now I noticed I should probably also point you to the VMSPLIT options that are available since a few kernel versions. On your 2G machine, you could pick VMSPLIT_2G_OPT through the kernel config after which no such thing as highmem exists anymore which would ofcourse be an effective way of arranging not being passed any.

Whether or not it's a good idea depends. If you're running, say, large databases that want large address-spaces, it's not. Also things such as vmware may crap out...

Rene.