Re: OT: Kernel Copyright line

On Nov 20, 2007 11:20 PM, Ramagudi Naziir <naziirr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I got a slightly off topic question i've been pondering about lately..
>
> When someone writes in the header of his kernel file:
>
> Copyright (C) 2007 My Name
>
> What does the 2007 mean ? I sometimes see lines like
> Copyright (C) 2004,2005,2006,2007...

It is the year at which the code was published. Normal people would
write 2004-2007 and simply update the last number if they publish
another version afterwards, but (in particular) the GNU folks insist
that each year should be listed explicitly. See this page for the
explanation:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

> why is that ? do I need to add each year to my lines ?

I find it rather silly. Use your common sense and put a year range if
it spans multiple years.

> and If I work on something all 2007 and then publish it on 1.1.2008,
> should I write 2008 ?

If it's the first published version, you put 2008. If the code was
available to the public, for instance through VCS or pre-releases, or
in an e-mail archive, this counts as a published version, so you
should put the year at which the code was first distributed, whether
it was an official stable release or not.

> sorry for stupid questions but I really don't know what does
> this mean...

There are no stupid questions...?

Vegard