Re: compilation error !! Please help !!

On Nov 18, 2007 2:15 AM, Onkar <onkar.n.m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>                  from example2.c:2:
> /usr/include/asm-x86_64/processor.h:77: error: 'CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT'
> undeclared here (not in a function)
> /usr/include/asm-x86_64/processor.h:77: error: requested alignment is not a
> constant

Google search on 'CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' return this page:

http://perspex.com/hacks/linux/distros/mandrake/9.0/driver-barfs.html

It is just indicate a common mistake - the gcc compiler is trying to
use existing header file to compile the kernel, and mixing up with the
userspace header files (/usr/include vs /usr/src/kernels/`uname
-r`/include) as well.

When u develop a kernel module, u develop it for a particular version
of the kernel, as I am not sure how u can develop it for multiple
kernel version - YET :-).

So what I do usually is to download a particular version of the
kernel, and make addition there - a new modules or not.   And make use
of the makefile of that downloaded kernel to compile my codes - all
header files required is within that package.

Or u can follow all the detailed instructions within that URL above,
which I would not.