64BIT config option

As I compile the latest kernel downloaded from git today, there is a
new option called "64BIT (experimental)".

What does that mean?   64bit kernel?   But currently all the
applications and libraries files are 32 bit based.   Will the
generated 64bit kernel be able to run my existing 32 bit applications?

And I supposed that the 64bit option will regenerate all the 64bit
kernel modules - since everything in the kernel have to be running in
64bit - right?   Userspace I am not sure it has been done or not,
though Windows is doing that, and x86 hardware has the feature to
support that.