starting a kernel offshoot project with git

  i'm in the process of reading the git tutorial, but i figured i'd
explain what i'm trying to do here and i'm sure the experts will be
happy to tell me how i'm about to screw up horribly.

  like many others, i want to create a git repo to track an addition
to the standard kernel source.  (if it makes any difference, the git
repo will represent additional support for an embedded processor.)

  at any time, someone else should be able to pull from my tree and
get the updates representing just that additional functionality to be
added to their current (up-to-date) git tree -- it will be my
responsibility to not only add and update the additional features in
my tree, but to pull from the main kernel git tree as well to keep
everything up to date.  does that sound right so far?

  at the moment, i have a sizable patch set for this new feature that
applies cleanly against the 2.6.23 kernel, but that's definitely going
to need some hacking to make it apply cleanly against the current git
pull.  so, to make this work, what would be the correct order of
operations?  based on my brief perusal, it would seem that i would
initialize my git repo with just the latest kernel git pull (and
nothing more), so my initial git repo would contain absolutely nothing
related to that new feature, and anyone pulling from it would get,
well, nothing.

  then, little by little, i'd start adding and committing new features
in my tree, and when people pulled from my tree, they'd get that
additional content which, as long as i'm keeping up to date against
the main kernel git repo, should apply cleanly against *their* trees.
is that about right?

rday

p.s.  this new repo won't be available on the net just yet, but i'm
assuming i can do all this work locally, and finally make it publicly
available some time down the road when i figure out where to host it,
yes?

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca