System-global flag on an x86

I'd like to know if there's a way to set a system-global flag in user mode that can be read in kernel mode. Specifically, I'd like to know if a NAPI poll function is being executed during a system call that I wrote, so the idea is to set the flag before the system call is invoked, clear it when it returns and test it during the poll function. This is for testing purposes only, so any quick'n'dirty trick will do. Other ideas for achieving the same functionality are also welcome (as long as the overhead is low).

Elad