Re: sparse file problem

Hello,

    I have included a link to the dd documentation online. dd can be
used to 'create' sparse files using the seek command to mark the end
of file some distance from the beginning. Perhaps with a little
tweaking to the source code you could add an "end of data" option to
pass to dd such that:

$ dd if=myfile of=myimage bs=1024 count=0 eod=<your end of data> seek=10240

I do not know if that would work or not but wanted to throw it out
there. Good luck.

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd

Karl