Re: why does stock kernel have an m86knommu port?

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 09:02:43AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > > Bogus question - e.g. the blackfin and h8300 ports in the stock
> > > kernel are for MMU-less processors.
> >
> > whoops, you're right, my mistake.  but the question remains -- why
> > are *some* MMU-less architectures supported in the stock kernel
> > and not others?  or is it just a matter of someone working hard
> > enough to get that architecture accepted and maintaining it?
>
> The latter.

ok, so here's a question that's probably off-topic for this list but,
what the heck ... i *may* be doing some work on a nios2 altera FPGA,
for which there is a uClinux port.  depending on what happens, is
there any value in trying to extract the nios2-specific content from
the (much larger) uClinux patch and trying to submit a nios2 port to
the mainstream kernel?

over at http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/uClinux-2.6.x/, you can
download a "big" uclinux patch for all ports that applies cleanly
against 2.6.23.  just for fun, i spent a few minutes identifying the
nios2-specific content of that patch and noting how some of it is
already out-of-date WRT the latest git tree (for example, the watchdog
stuff has been moved from drivers/char/watchdog/ to
drivers/watchdog/).

if i *did* manage to pull out the nios2 content (and, let's say,
started my own git tree for it that i kept compatible with the main
tree), is there any chance that that might eventually be accepted into
the main tree?  or is that not how things work?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca