Re: how to list the PCI support in a running kernel?

On 10/17/07, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   a friend asks the following question:  how can you list the PCI
> support that's *built in* to a given running kernel?  allegedly, he
> wants to know if it's possible to move a kernel from one system to
> another (mostly similar) system, and know that the additional HW on
> that second system will still be recognized and supported.
>
>   is there a simple way to do this?  thanks.

If the kernel of the two different machine is of the SAME EXACT
version (small version differences perhaps can work too), and hardware
wise identical, then it is possible to move the kernel modules files
that live in the old machine to the new one.

Otherwise I think there is no guarantee that you can move files around
can still get it to work.   THis is because the kernel and modules
build are usually tied together.