Re: NO_HZ and cpu monitoring tools

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 01:42:15PM +0800, Peter Teoh wrote:
> Is it somehow related to this patch:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Load_Balancing_Cpusets?
>
> Anyway, my personal guess is that since it is almost 100% idle, the
> CPU never got the chance of switching over to other CPU, and so the
> max is 2 CPU - cpu0 for the bootstrapping CPU, and another CPU as the
> working CPU (in this case it just so happened to be cpu5).
>
> BTW, what kind of fixes are u looking for?   There seems to be no
> problem here, just a phenomena.   Alternatively, a random CPU can be
> picked to run the process all the time, but that will incur high
> overhead of switchover.   Alternatively, if you are looking for a fix,
> the file is fs/proc/proc_misc.c - show_stat() function, I think.   May
> be you can change the resolution there.

Yeah Im not suggesting we have a bug here, just that userspace tools may
get confused if _none_ of the counters in /proc/stat are
incrementing for long periods of time. Im thinking of cpu monitoring
tools and workload management software that watches how idle a machine
is. If they expect the idle count in /proc/stat to be incrementing
regularly (like top does), then we might have problems.

I dont think its a huge issue and the answer maybe to fix the userspace
apps, but I thought I would bring it up just to highlight it anyway.

Anton