Virtual Memory in diskless environment??

Hi,

            I would like to know if the Virtual Memory addressing is still going to be used in an environment with out any disk/Swap-space.

The reason I ask this is because, I think that the main point to having this Virtual memory is to make the processes re-locatable on the RAM and to support the Demand-Paging concept. If there is no swap-space in the first place to begin with, is there a need to still have this scheme? Do all processes + kernel run in Real Mode instead?

Or is it that the Protected-mode (with Virtual Memory) is still used but the mapping from Virtual Address to Physical is more one-to-one? And the 4 Gb Virtual Address space in any conventional system is not applicable to this kind of a situation.

Regards,

Aravind.