Re: calling hooks from inside timer interrupt handler freezes machine

Hi..

I made all my register functions inline and also replaced xchg with spin_lock and spin_unlock. But that did not help. I am having the same result.
Thank you for considering my suggestions. At least we are one step closer to the solution. So it's not about being inlined or not nor improper usage of xchg().
To clarify the confusion, I actually run a userspace program that calls the module's open routine which registers the hook. So registration is actually done by the module.
Could you show us your userspace code? because...maybe, just maybe, the problem lies in there.
However, this time I have something for you. I ran the module and program from console instead of running in GUI and it looks like the kernel actually panics when it freezes the system. Part of the output I could write down goes below -
EIP: [<60455670>] free_fdtable_rcu + 0xd/0x75 SS:ESP
     0068: f5c71f10
kernel_panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

Hmmm, RCU.... And on the other hand, it clearly shows us there is "exception" although it's not clear what kind of exception it was.
This happens with both 4k and 8k stacks with/without inline register functions.

OK, not stack problem. In general, all my theories are proven wrong. let's find another suspect..

regards,

Mulyadi