Re: Syscall Creation Question - New Member

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Part of the assignment is to make a system call and then the second part is to make the module version so we can learn ways.

I really don't know what I am doing to be honest. I haven't received very much direction so I have been trying to scour the internet (we are told to google for everything) for information about this and it has been very sketchy and most of the time it does not work for me.

I check the System.map file and I see my call in there but I can't get to it. There are these "stubs" I guess we can put "somewhere" so we can access our calls but I don't know anything about them. Perhaps you can inform or point me somewhere for it?

Additionally, how do I use these syscallN marcos from a user level program?

Thanks for your help, I will check out the book you listed but I am kind of short on time (have until Wednesday) so unless it is published on the web it will not be of use to me.

Thanks

In a message dated 9/28/2007 10:59:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ilpacx@xxxxxxxxx writes:
WindHeavenNights@xxxxxxx wrote:
> *I am to implement a simple system call that will use printk to display
> some text (the time, in nanoseconds) to the screen.*
> *Here are the steps that I am performing in order to implement this
> system call:*

You don't have to add code into the kernel for your system call, it is
better to implement as a module. Refer Linux Device Drivers written by
Alesandro Rubini et al. You could better start off with The Linux Kernel
  by David A Rusling.