Re: the only kernel debugging tools worth learning?

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Suresh Jayaraman wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 12:15 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > i'm putting together a short tutorial on this topic, so i wanted
> > to be fairly complete but not repetitive.  at the moment, if i had
> > to keep things really short, here's what i'd explain:
> >
> > 1) using plain "gdb" with vmlinux and /proc/kcore to at least
> > *examine* values in a running kernel,
> >
> > 2) kprobes
> >
> > 3) systemtap
>
> I think it won't be complete without discussing atleast one of the
> crashdump mechanisms e.g. kdump + kexec and analysing with "crash".
> Also, you can touch upon NMI Watchdog which really helps in case of
> Hard lockups.

i was already adding kdump + kexec to the mix.  also LTT-ng.  what i'm
trying to avoid is having overlap or redundancy among the topics.
(for example, there's no point in covering LTT when there's already
LTT-ng, that sort of thing.  and some coverage of the new linux
markers stuff would be good, too, if i can squeeze it in.)

> A reference to debugging options in the "Kernel Hacking" section
> while configuring the kernel would help too. e.g.
> CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK etc.

i had already pencilled that in to an earlier course that i'm writing.
i don't consider that stuff so much "debugging" as real-time
validation, if that makes sense.

if i can avoid it sounding like marketing (since i doubt many readers
of this list are potential customers), i've been a linux and OSS
trainer for a number of years, and i've decided to start a new venture
that focuses on what i call "crash courses" -- really intense, 1-day
corporate courses that target a specific topic.

so when i say i want to put together a 1-day course on kernel
debugging techniques, i have to be ruthless in terms of selectivity,
and include only those topics that have obvious value.  no fluff, no
filler.  (heck, a course on systemtap alone could easily fill one
day so the best i could do here would be a basic intro.)

so that's why i was trying to be selective -- i was after a basic list
of kernel debugging tools that had value, that didn't overlap and that
covered the spectrum from simple to sophisticated and that would
nicely fill a day of instruction.  and that's my story and i'm
sticking to it. :-)

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA