Re: compilng and booting new kernel

On Tuesday 18 September 2007, Onkar wrote:
> I am new to Linux Kernel. I have complied the kernel ;I have created
> a initrd.img-2.6.22-6-686 file of size 43MB. I am unable to boot the
> kernel.Please help me !!.  Can anyone please give me some reliable
> documentation as to how to compile and boot the system with the new
> kernel ?

read the README file and the contents of the Documentation directory,
both in the top directory of the kernel source tree.

Greg Kroah-Hartman's book is probably what you are after:
http://www.kroah.com/lkn/

What errors are you getting? The common mistake is a mis-configured
kernel with no support compiled for your root filesystem or the
hardware it sits on.

If you want answers on how to do these things, you will need to supply
some information. The text of the error message is a good place to
start

alan

--
Alan McKinnon