kernel panic on running gdb

Hello,
       I have been trying to run gdb on my linux system which i built
using the linux kernel from montavista. When I run any application it
works fine. But the moment I try to run gdb with the application I get
a kernel panic:

[tcsetpgrp failed in terminal_inferior: Inappropriate ioctl for device]
Kernel panic - not syncing: Unrecoverable error in exception handler

I have been searching online but could not figure out why i get the
kernel panic only when i run gdb. Could you please advice as to why
this could happen and if there is any kernel configuration option that
needs to be set for gdb.

Thank you
Pradeep