Re: how does an initramfs handle the "root=" boot time param?

My apologies, sent this without sending to the M-L (been a long day).

> On 05/09/07, duryodhan <duryodhan125@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > With apologies to the OP, for going a little ot
> > I always wanted to know , whats the point of having initrd?
> >
> > Why not just compile the basic stuff in? e.g ext3 could be compiled in etc.
> >
> > I am talking about when I have compiled my own kernel.. not about how
> > good it is for the distros.
> >
> > Are there /any/ advantages of using an initrd here?

AFAIK, the initrd image needs to be uncompressed before use, so
the system boots slightly slower.

I've read somewhere that some people use initrd when they have large
disk arrays that need to be enumerated and configured before you can
mount them as your rootfs. And as you mention distros need initrd's
because they don't know what hardware you have.

Regards,
Srdjan