Re: creating a sysfs directory

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 04:22:40PM -0400, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 9/3/07, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:40:10AM -0400, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > How could I create a new directory under sysfs??
> > >
> > > I want to create the following directory structure for usb devices:
> > >
> > > $PWD = /sys/class/usb_device/usbdevB.D/device
> > >
> > > ls $PWD/otg
> > > (some attributes will go here)
> > >
> > > ls $PWD/otg/whitelist
> > > (other attributes will go here)
> > >
> > > How could I create directories 'otg' and 'otg/whitelist' ??
> >
> > Why do you want to create subdirectories for all usb devices?
> >
> > Anyway, just use the sysfs_create_dir() if you really want to do this
> > (and I think, in the end, you really don't, but that conversation should
> > be on the linux-usb-devel mailing list where you present what you feel
> > these extra sysfs files will do for you...)
>
> Thanks Greg...
>
> I'll sending a preliminary patch series soon... I hope you all
> understand why I need such new directories ;-)

I really do not.  If you have OTG specific attributes that are
applicable for this specific USB device, just put them in the same
directory as the device itself.  No subdir needed at all.  If you have
namespace conflicts with files already in that directory, just use a
common prefix ("otg_" perhaps?)

thanks,

greg k-h