RE: ext2 filesystem on 256MB nand flash

From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christopher Reder
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 11:09 AM
To: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ext2 filesystem on 256MB nand flash

>I have a custom ARM board with 16MB of SDRAM.  I also have a 256MB nand flash.  I can create and download a filesystem as long as it >is less than 16MB.

>Does anyone know how I specify to the ext2 filesystem that it has 256MB of flash to work with (size of partition) but only have the file that is >created less (right now, it is about 10 MB).

First, I am sorry for replying to my own mail, but wanted to add info to be clearer on what the issue is as I have done more investigation.

I build another image with jffs2 and when I do a df, I see what I expect to:

# df

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/mtdblock4          256.0M     11.9M    244.1M   5% /

#

That is, there is a total of 256MB in the partition and the kernel et al know about it.

When I do the same thing with ext2, it shows as having around 10.4 M for the size.  This is no doubt in how the file is built.  Is there a way to have a file be, let’s say, 10 mb big, but within the ext2 file, have it know that it has 256Mb to use?  I have tried using the block size but that just balloons the size of the file, which is not what I am looking for.

Thanks for any help or explanations on how to properly build the ext2 file (ext2 is so much quicker to mount and seems so much more reliable that I would like to use it, if possible.