Re: filesystem

On 08/16/2007 06:39 PM, kernel learner wrote:

I m a newbie in the kernel domain. I want to read and learn everything about the filesystem starting from basic concepts, design, implementation, debugging etc.
Can u please point me to the correct sources like some links and books?

Both the book suggestions you got are good for general kernel topics but I don't believe there's a book that focusses specifically on filesystems.

Linux ofcourse supports a large number of filesystems so as to your "the filesystem": if you are talking about ext2/ext3, this old article is the first step for learning about those:

http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2intro.html

The MINIX FS is nicely described in the MINIX book ("Operating Systems, Design and Implementation", Tanenbaum/Woodhull) and reiserfs has online resources at www.namesys.com for example.

If you are talking about the VFS (the bit of Linux that sits just above all those different actual filesystems) then "Understanding the Linux Kernel" (Bovet/Cesati) might be most useful.

Rene.