RE: cat /dev/mem, cat /dev/ram ?

Erik> What do you mean with "boundaries"? What locations do you mean? Could
Erik> you give an example?

I don't have anything to base it on other than that seems to be what it is.
Almost like the kernel, for example, would think there was a block of 10
locations.  So, it goes and writes to those 10, but the hardware only has 9
and it fails on the last one.  Check out the output below from devmem2.  I
would think I should be able to write to the last location in ram...

> I wasn't too worried about it throwing up stuff to the terminal when I
tried
> the original.  I just wanted to see if it wouldn't crash.  So, you're
> suggestion was also good and yes, it crashes at the same spot.  I'll
include
> the output below.  The reason I picked on this is because it is crashing
in
> the same way that other programs have been crashing on me so I thought it
> may be a good and easy thing that if I can get this to work, the others
> should as well.  Anything else I could try to see if things are setup
> correctly?

Erik> OK, same place, so it might not be RAM related. Well, it still can. If
Erik> the ramdisk is always mapped at the same place (which it most probably
Erik> will) and that place is somehow corrpupt, things will go wrong. Could
Erik> you upgrade to a newer kernel and see if that solves the problem?

I also tried removing the ramdisk from the kernel config and it acts the
same as it did before.  While I could try a different kernel, I can use this
same kernel with most things the same, but on an EK board, and it works
fine, no problems.  Both have 32M of ram, both have a nor flash etc.  This
is what is so confusing as I have tried going through all differences etc
and it just doesn't make sense.

I used devmem2 and saw 1 thing that was interesting:
# ./devmem2 0x21FFFFFC
/dev/mem opened.
Memory mapped at address 0x40006000.
Value at address 0x21FFFFFC (0x40006ffc): 0x7B5EAB79
# ./devmem2 0x21FFFFFD
/dev/mem o[  730.260000] Unhandled fault: external abort on non-linefetch
(0x01a
) at 0x40006ffd
pened.
Memory mapped at address 0x40006000.
Bus error
#

Why wouldn't this work at 0x21FFFFD ?

# cat iomem
00300000-003fffff : at91_ohci
  00300000-003fffff : ohci_hcd
10000000-107fffff : physmap-flash.0
  10000000-107fffff : physmap-flash.0
20000000-21ffffff : System RAM
  20029000-202a7fff : Kernel text
  202a8000-202d6e17 : Kernel data
40000000-4fffffff : at91_nand
80000000-8017ffff : FPGA video memory
  80000000-8017ffff : dcifb mem
80800000-80800004 : FPGA video registers
  80800000-80800004 : dcifb regs
fefbc000-fefbffff : at91_ether
fefff200-fefff3ff : atmel_usart.0
  fefff200-fefff3ff : atmel_serial
fffb4000-fffb7fff : at91_mci
  fffb4000-fffb7fff : at91_mci
fffe0000-fffe3fff : at91_spi.0
  fffe0000-fffe3fff : at91_spi

# df
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
# cd /proc
# cat filesystems
nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs