Re: exposing kernel driver to user space app

On 8/9/07, hinko.kocevar@xxxxxxxxxxxx <hinko.kocevar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> is there
> > a way for the module to notify an application of some
> > event happening?
>
> By using select/poll from the userspace one needs to implement similar
> procedure in their (character) device driver as well - namely poll().
> This would (if properly implemented) relieve you of the need to manually
> check for an event to happen. See LDD3 (http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/) for
> sample device driver that utilizes the poll() syscall.

Isn't blocking reads also useful in this case?
I would also make read calls block when there is no data available.
Well, this plays nice with threads.

I haven't needed select/pool yet. But in a single thread (perhaps with
timeouts) select/pool seems better.

(I'm no expert, but I'd like to know what you think)

--
http://arhuaco.org
http://emQbit.com