Re: System calls in user and kernel space

Hi,

How is your program supposed to know that you have a syscall with that name ??......Did you defined the _syscalln(....) macro correctly in your program ? ...See adding a system call chapter from the book UKL.

Hope that helps

On 7/31/07, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 02:08:55PM -0400, Jug Venkatesh wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I am writing new system calls for a security project

Um, you might want to stop right there :)

Are you _sure_ you need a new system call?

>  , and I was wondering if
>  there is any way to specify whether they will be accessible from user space
>  or kernel space. Basically, I am writing a monitor that writes to a buffer,
>  and I would like to be able to use this both in the programs I write
>  (running in user space) as well as in kernel space. I have successfully used
>  this syscall in kernel space, but whenever I try to use it in a C program, I
>  get a compile error that says "Undefined reference ...".

Just use the proper syscall macro from userspace.

good luck,

greg k-h