Re: Verification of log messages from loopback.c

On 7/26/07, Rajendra Stalekar <rajendra.stalekar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: pradeep singh [mailto:2500.pradeep@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:21 PM
To: rajendra.stalekar@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Verification of log messages from loopback.c

Code please??

You won't require the code, since I have just added printk(KERN_ALERT
"RAJENDRA in get_stats\n") after the declaration of int i in
static struct net_device_stats* get_stats(struct net_device *dev), which is
standard function in source code /drivers/net/loopback.c
I built it. I get a loopback.o
My objective in adding this printk statement was trying to see whether this
gets called, by executing ifconfig or netstat -i.
I checked in /var/log/messages and the output of printk statement didn't get
logged.
What might have gone wrong? How am I supposed to test it.
However the most important question is since it being a driver, shouldn't
this be a loopback.ko?
How did you compile BTW?
Didn't you compile the whole kernel?

TIA.