Re: min_free_kbytes

Hi Bizhan...

Late reply...I hope I still can catch in time...
Hi All,
For a while I was thinking I have a memory leak some where in my system.
I was typing "free" command and observing the free memory was decreasing
gradualy.
I start playing around with the Virtual Memory parameters. I increased one of the Virtual Memory parameters' value,
"min_free_kbytes". Then I typed "free", all the sudden my system had all
the free memory that I thought it leaked before.
<snip>
I do not understand from above definition why by increasing the
"min_free_kbytes" I got all the memory back.
Easy explanation. Your free memory is dropping most likely due to caching (inodes, dentrys and so on). By enlarging min_free_kbytes, as has been said in your e-mail's body, it makes certain amount of RAM dedicated for urgent allocation. Thus, since page cache could be freely dropped (of course, any change should be flushed back 1st) because they are file backed page, they can be released and the pages could be marked free again.

regards,

Mulyadi