Re: what is the advantage of loading and unloading device drivers, apart from memory savings?

Iyer wrote:
> What is the advantage of loading and unloading device drivers, apart
> from memory savings?
Yes, this becomes important in embedded devices. Not for normal desktop
usage however.

Does loading and unloading of kernel modules
> enhance stability ?
Only if you are testing an unstable driver, and even then it is more for
testing. You *should't* be able to take down a system with a bad driver,
but you never know. You have a modules you want to test, you start up
the machine, make sure everything works normal, then load module, debug.

I have lots of memory in a device and the device
> will run only one application on it, would loading and unloading of
> device drivers by the application prove to be beneficial as compared to
> device drivers being compiled into the kernel ?
>
> Your views are appreciated by this kernel greenhorn

One thing to I use modules for is when certain hardware devices have
multiple drivers that will work with them For instance I had an IDE
controller that had a general driver that would work, but not great. It
also had more specific driver that had better feature but I could not
get the better driver to be in charge of the hardware. I then compiled
both as modules and passed the modules I wanted loaded in what order at
boot time. Problem solved.