Re: EXPORT_SYMBOL

----- Original Message ----
From: Andi <a.platschek@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: kanishk rastogi <kanishk_rastogi85@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:24:23 PM
Subject: Re: EXPORT_SYMBOL

kanishk rastogi schrieb:
> hi all,
> When we export a symbol using EXPORT_SYMBOL, We can use it to be called
> by other modules when we insert this module .......
> I wanted to know when does this symbol gets added to the kernel symbol
> table ...

It's added when the module is loaded with insmod and removed when the
module is removed.
But you don't have to use EXPORT_SYMBOL. if you don't care about it,
every symbol, that is not static will be exportet.

Does this means EXPORT_SYMBOL()  and declaring a function as non-static is same ....

> Or what happens when we insert the module so that this symbol is
> accessible ....

If you want to check which symbols of your module are exported, check
/proc/kallsyms.

thanks Andi ,

But i wanted to see what special treament does these symbols get once we have "EXPORT_SYMBOL()ed " them
Vs....
ones which are not exported and non static .....

regards
kanishk

andi