Re: 2.6.22 kernel panic - not able to recognize the Vmware virtualized disk

On Thursday 12 July 2007 19:11, Devendra Durgapal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After getting lot of suggestion  from you guys on 2.6.22 kernel compile
> error. I decided to move to latest redhat OS. Then I install rhel5 server
> on my VMware workstation
> devbox. And enjoy the compilation of linux-2.6.22.tar.gz kernel. Then I did
> installation of new compile kernel. Its also goes fine. I am following
> these steps which are
> available at - http://www.kroah.com/lkn/
>
> After reboot when I boot into new compile kernel 2.6.22. Its gave  me
> kernel panic.
>
> I used default configuration options with the help of #make defconfig
>
> Here new kernel not able to recognize the disk which i actually virtualized
> by VMware workstation 6.0.
>
> Do anybody have any workaround on it. Any specify configure change i need
> to opt!!!

Hi Devendra,

I got the same problem, it seems that some of the recent lsi kernel driver
cleanups broke vmware support. My solution was to compile the old buslogic
driver in the kernel and change the vmware driver to buslogic also:

tavi@ixro-opurdila-lap:~/vmware/Debian Etch PSO$ cat Debian\ Etch\ PSO.vmx  |
grep scsi
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Debian Etch PSO.vmdk"
scsi0:0.redo = ""

Regards,
tavi