SPI driver development questions

I have to develop an SPI device driver to make a PowerPC (mcp5200) custom
board "talk" to an FPGA in order to program it at power on.

I'm using 2.6.20 kernel with support for the spi subsystem enabled.

What I'd like to do is to be able to program my FPGA from user space
(namely init scripts), possibly using a standard char device interface. The
binary stream to program the FPGA is stored on the linux filesystem, so
this sounds as the most confortable way to go.

Let me say I have to use the SPI-PSC way on the 5200

I read docs in Documentation/spi, Documentation/driver-model and
/driver/spi/spi.c, but still many questions fly around...

How should I proceed?

Do I have to write a SPI Master Controller Driver for the 5200 first (or I
use mpc52xx_psc_spi) and than a specific device driver for my FPGA?
What exactly will this master driver "export" to the specific device driver
for my FPGA?  I cannot figure out, after registering the master driver how
to "bind" the device driver to the master.

TIA: Silvio

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Silvio Fricke

--
-- S. Fricke ----------------------------- MAILTO:silvio.fricke@xxxxxxxxx --
   Diplom-Informatiker (FH)                   TEL:       (+49)8330-911278