Help in adding userspace function hooks to kernel

Hi,
I need to provide a hook from kernel-space to userspace.
I want something like iptable-hooks which are the userspace functions that are called when some packet enters perticular chain.
I dont want to use netlink filters as they are used only to pass data from kernelspace to userspace.
But what I need is an userspace function (which can be registerd with kernel) should be called upon perticular event in kernel.

I was working on some resource management utility, which needs to get informed about creation of any new process,
and also should get some information about newly created process.
I am also looking for possibility for pausing the execution kernel thread till userspace function acknowlages the data and take certain action on it.
I am looking for some examples or documentation that can be refered in doing above.

Thank you.
Pravin Shinde