Re: the simplest way to add a file to my git repo and submit as a patch?

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>   what's the easiest way to submit a patch that represents adding a
> new file to my git repo?  i'm fairly sure it involves "git add" and
> "git commit".  i just want to be able to physically add the file, then
> somehow commit it so it shows up with "git diff", submit that output
> as a patch, then remove the file and any reference to it and get back
> to where i started.
>
>   what's the recipe?  thanks.

It should be (starting from master):
   $ git checkout -b newbranch          # create a new branch for your changes
   $ echo "foo" > newfile               # edit the file
   $ git add newfile                    # add it to the index
   $ git commit -m "Add newfile"        # commit it
   $ git format-patch master            # get a patch
   $ git checkout master                # go back to original state

There is now a file 0001-Add-newfile.patch that has your changes.  Then
you can delete newbranch if you want.

	Eric