Re: what is minimally necessary to run "gdb vmlinux /proc/kcore"?

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> NB: Could you please summarize our discussion and put it up on Wiki?

well, that's an interesting suggestion, but i'd feel a lot better
about doing that if i knew that others were also going to invest some
time in contributing content as well.

as i posted recently, i'm starting to document (for my own benefit)
the various ways that one can debug the kernel.  now, i'm willing to
make the results available on the wiki, but not if i'm the only one
who's going to do all the work.

if people want to chip in, and divvy up the effort, that would be
great.  specifically, i'd like a list of the current debugging
techniques that are worth knowing, and which ones are now perhaps
out-of-date given recent developments.

for example, based on the current discussion, knowing how to use gdb
is definitely useful.  even though it's fairly simplistic, it's
readily available so it's worth documenting.

moving on from there, there are other solutions like oprofile, LTTng,
kprobes, systemtap, linux markers and so on (some of which i know
nothing about).  an obvious question would be:  which of those
solutions have been superseded by better techniques so that they're
not worth investing any time on?

so there's a starting point -- what kernel debugging techniques are,
at the moment, worth learning about?  and we can use the answer as the
basis for a wiki page.  fair enough?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA