Re: kernel 2.6.20 compiler

On 04/07/07, Queenie de Melo <queenie245@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Everybody,

Iam a newbie in this field.

I would like to build a kernel for my customised target platform based on
IXP425 processor. The schmatics r very similar to the ixdpg425 development
board given by Intel.

For this I have downloaded kernel from kernel.org. How do i know which even
number kernel is the best one to download? Currently i downloaded kernel
2.6.20

There is no difference between even and odd numbered kernels. The
latest stable kernel at the moment is 2.6.21.5
If you want to use 2.6.20 for some reason, then the latest is 2.6.20.14

Do i need any additinal patches?

That would depend on what you need.  If you are asking if you need
additional patches for it to run on your target platform, then someone
else will have to answer that, I don't know.

Which is the cross compiler toolchain that can compile this kernel for my
IXP platform for BE mode? I currently have arm-linux-tools-20061213
toolchain. Will this work?

I don't know, but it seems like you installed something wrong in any case

 i tried but i get an error as below:

/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/local/arm/usr/local/bingcc: is a
directory

Something expects /usr/local/arm/usr/local/bingcc to be a file, but in
your case it's a directory. That looks like an installation or
configuration error.

make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 126
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

Can someone guide me through please.

Thanx

Queenie