From: Andrea Gasparini [mailto:gaspa@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 1:38 PM
To: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx; rajendra.stalekar@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problem in pinging of IP address ....

Rajendra Stalekar spiffera, alle Friday 29 June 2007 circa:
> I installed VMWare6.0 and guest OS is RedHat Linux AS4, native OS is
> Windows XP , I am unable to ping the host IP address, however from this
> host I can ping the Redhat Linux IP address.
>
> Firewall is already disabled. So no problem there.
> Whenever I try pinging the gateway or the host IP from Linux I get
> connect: Network is unreachable.
> What could be the problem?

If the virtual machine run without root privilege it cannot ping.
This is true for vmware, qemu and every complete virtualization enviroment.

It depends also from how vmware interfaces itself with the real machine
(so, for example, a tun/tap, a fifo, or whatever... ), but this is out of
my knowledge...

bye!
--
-gaspa-