Re: Mounting a partition as root filesystem

Hi Bahadir,

On 6/20/07, Bahadir Balban <bahadir.balban@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to mount /dev/hda0 (the first partition on /dev/hda) as my
ext3 root filesystem during boot. Even though I can mount this
partition after boot and successfully see the files on it, (using
"mount -text3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/disk1" and hda1 with major 3, minor 1)
the same partition cannot be mounted as the root filesystem during
boot. I get the error:

VFS: Cannot open root device "0x301" or unknown-block(3,1)
VFS: Cannot open root device "0x301" or unknown-block(3,1)
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,1)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

In kernel bootargs, I tried root=/dev/hda0, /dev/hda1 and also
root=0x301 (major 3, minor 1) to mount it.
I don't think giving the major and minor numbers as parameters is
allowed at all.

It should have just worked.
Any idea why it doesn't?

Typically, this is how you would pass the option :
root=/dev/hda1
Look at your /etc/fstab file to see if a Label has been defined for
your root partition. If it is, typically systems will have the
following entry :
root=LABEL=/
There's no such thing as /dev/hda0.

Also, another common cause for this Kernel panic is building an  ext3
filesystem as a module and NOT statically linked to the kernel.
If you know how to build the kernel , make sure you change the EXT3
Filesystem option from "m" to "y".

Thanks,
Raseel
www.opensourcedeal.com