Re: [Q]can i generate tags locally for Linus' tree?

On 6/17/07, Erik Mouw  wrote:

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 07:36:28PM +0530, pradeep singh wrote:
[snip]
> But i am not able to pull the tags using
>
> $ cd /mnt/reiser/linux-2.6 [this dir holds Linus' tree]
> $ git pull -t

If you just cloned the repo it already has all tags and you don't need
the "-t" flag for git. Just do "git tag -l" to see all tags.

I did and i cannot see any.
I finally created one as
$git tag v2.6.22-rc5

> I get following error :-
>
> $fatal: 'origin': unable to chdir or not a git archive
[...]

Not sure what happens, ask on the git mailing list if it really bothers
you.
Sure, this sounds good enough to me.

> Ok i am fine with this as i have pulled Linus' tree successfully.
> Now can i use my locally generated tag for the tree. i.e
>
> $ git tag "Linux 2.6.22-rc5"
>
> Is this acceptable?

AFAIK tags can't contain spaces, but other than that you can tag all
you like.

Yes, didn't realise that earlier :).

> Does this renders my pulled tree useless because i generated the tag
> locally?

It doesn't make it useless. If you make a tag with "git tag mytag" it's
just a "symlink" without a commit, it will only help you to find
certain commits easier. For example: "git tag v2.6.22-rc5-works-ok".
You can pull from Linus repo without problems.

If you use the -a or -s flag, the tag will actually be a commit, which
will make future pulls from Linus repo a merge instead of a standard
fastforward. Still not a useless repo, but not one that's like Linus
repo. If you want to make such tags, you rather make them in a branch.
Thanks Eric , that was helpful.

Regards
- --psr

Erik