Re: A64 memory controller registers

2007/6/16, Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli <chbhanukalyan@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 6/16/07, Loïc Grenié <loic.grenie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

are the athlon 64 memory controller registers description publicly
available ?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 (Athlon 64 Turion X2, ATI RS480 NB, ATI SB600)
with 1GB of RAM. Dell specifies that the 1501 can have "up to 2GB of
RAM".

Can anybody guess whether it would boot with 4GB of memory, disabling the
upper 2GB, and whether I'd be able to re-enable the upper 2GB (preferably
mapped above the 4GB limit: I don't mind, I'm running in 64bit mode and I'd
not lose memory in the "3GB hole").

Not as far as I know.... the 2GB limit which dell specified is what the
motherboard supports..... So the hardware/bios itself will not accept more
than the 2GB specified. It has nothing to do with the OS.

    The point is: if the BIOS only enables the first 2GB, the kernel of the OS
 can enable the other 2 provided
   1) the hardware can (I think the Turion 64 should not have problems with
 4GB+ RAM, but the BIOS migth refuse to boot)
   2) the programmer has access to the doc of the memory controller (in that
 case the Turion 64)
   3) the wind is following.

   The questions are thus:
1) Will the computer boot with 4GB installed ? (I'd mind to throw away 250$
to just test it)
2) I've found the docs of the Opteron on AMD site (I've looked there maybe a
hundred of times and found them only yesterday, call me stupid). It
looks feasible
to enable memory at run-time and to put it above the 4GB limit. So point 2 looks
solvable.
3) Is it easy to tell the MM subsystem that a module has "just found"
another couple of GB lying between the 4GB and the 6GB marks ?

Thanks again,

Loïc Grenié