Re: read/write form module /dev/* files

On 6/4/07, Peter Fodrek <fodrek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
pradeep singh wrote:
> On 6/4/07, peto <fodrek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > Dear confrenece,
> >
> > I would like to ask if there is some way to access /dev/* files
> > connected to the minor and major number of other modules form kernel
> > module(calls
> > of exported symbols works but is not enough independent).
> >
> > I was seen one solution through get_fs/put_fs calls, but it is not
> > recommended by that article.
>
> Right.
> Why do you need to open /dev/* files from the kernel space?

I am, to build complex application, where parts are hard realtime in RTAI a
therefor any real-time part of application needs to be kernel module. But I
am to use several serial interfaces (CAN bus, RS-485 etc.) with posibility to
reconfigure interfaces by changing configuration files or module prameters.
Plan is to be modular structure of application where only interfaces of
attached devices are known for higher level. So if I use special file  as
intreface I can comunicate to first time via /dev/ttyS2  and nex time
/dec/can1

This principle of using was first time shown to me via eGalax serial touch
screen, but there is user space daemon with interface in /dev - I can not
imagine how it is done, but it works. Daemon is not acceptble to my
application, because of latency in need it in less tahn 30 microseconds range
(RTIA user space realtime does not math this)

> Perhaps you can be better off using inode structure of the device file
> in the kernel.

I know what inode is so i know that such structure exists, but I have never
seen documentation of this.

Thank you to all who send answers to me

Best regard

Peto