Re: scsi drivers

On 5/30/07, Erik Mouw <mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 05:34:44AM -0700, Ashok kumar wrote:
> i have some linux device driver development experience.
> i want to involve on scsi driver development. how to start it?

Subscribe to the linux-scsi mailing list and lurk over there for some
time. That should give you an idea about what's going on.

You can also check if the kernel janitors have some SCSI related work.

I used to be subscribed to linux-scsi and there are lots of projects
to consider.

I assume you know SCSI is the protocol used in USB, Firewire, iSCSI,
Fibre-Channel, SAS, and maybe a couple more.  Also the current libata
implementation is using the scsi core code for some of its
functionality.  And on the libata list they occasionally voice a
desire to get a SAT layer in the kernel.  (SAT = SCSI to ATA
translator). Conceptually most USB enclosures have a SAT-like device
in them, but apparently there is a SAT spec that none of the hardware
people are following yet.  Likely the SAS people are since SAS has to
support scsi and sata drives by spec.

Many of the above have separate ongoing projects (and mailing lists?),
so you need to decide where in the SCSI stack you would like to focus
at first, and if it is at a lower level, which of the above
technologies you would like to get involved with.

ie. If you think about the 7-layer model, SCSI is the bottom 3 layers.
And as you see above, the lowest layer includes a large number of
different physical transports, but all of the above share a common
upper layer implementation.

FYI: Some of the smarter controllers like the SAS ones tend to have
most of the low-level details in firmware on the controllers, so for
some of those only the manufacturers people will be working the code.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group