Re: still unclear on some issues regarding memory zones

On 5/27/07, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Robert..

>   regardless of how many docs i read, i'm still a bit unclear on some
> of the basics of memory management and "zones", so i'm going to try to
> clear some of that up a question or two at a time.

It takes time, but eventually you'll get it.
>   first, as i read it, the x86 defines three "zones":
>
>       ZONE_DMA        <16M
>       ZONE_NORMAL     16M-896M
>       ZONE_HIGHMEM    >896M

Correct. Notice that in 64 bit platform, HIGHMEM simply doesn't exist.
> first, are those (physical) partition addresses absolutely *fixed*,
> regardless of the amount of RAM on the system?  that is, even if i had
> a system with only 512M of RAM, *technically*, ZONE_HIGHMEM is still
> defined as the memory above 896M,

yes...
>  even though there is no such memory?

the definition is still true, but ZONE_HIGHMEM doesn't exist is you just
have less than 896 MB. Also, AFAIK, even if you have more than 896 MB
but you don't enable highmem support, you still don't have ZONE_HIGHMEM.
> in that case, all of RAM above 16M on my system would be considered
> "normal", and i would have *no* "high" memory.  is that correct?

yes...

Please notice: this is a MM noob replying....
And you replied exactly correct IMO :-).
Another VM newbie lurking around.

thanks
--psr

regards,