Re: Kernel mappings

On May 11, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Jesper Juhl wrote:

On 11/05/07, Michael Cashwell <mboards@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greeting all,

I'm trying to make sense of an Oops in a driver I'm trying to port from 2.4 to 2.6.21 on an embedded ARM platform. I've scoured every archive and Google page I could find but because my issue is very specific I can't find anything that helps.

In a nutshell, I have the module building and loading for 2.6 but when a user land app attempts to use the driver it fails (unable to handle kernel paging request).

The address in question is of the CPU's internal peripheral registers. The key issue is that I can access that address from kernel mode just fine. But the failure happens when the user land app down-calls via an ioctl into the driver module. The oops message says it was "Mode SVC_32 Segment user".

Let's see the Oops as well as the driver source code. That'll make it a lot easier to help you.

Unfortunately, the driver source (which I inherited as a maintenance task) in encumbered. I can post a snippet and the symbolic backtrace on Monday. I have a little more info I can post here in response to another post.

Also, what's your userspace etc like (scripts/ver_linux output would be good).

Using an soft-float NPTL glibc-2.5 with gcc 4.1.1 cross-compilers. Userland is a very simple /etc.rc and inittab and Busybox 1.4.2.

Thanks,
-Mike