Re: Allocate userspace memory

Greg KH napsal(a):
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:16:22AM +0200, Jirka Pirko wrote:
 Hi

I'm writing pseudo chardev and i need to pass some structure to userspace. It includes strings and pointers to other structures. I need to allocate userspace memory chunks and pass pointers to in into userspace process where it can be used. Is there any chance to do it?

No, have userspace allocate the memory, pass it to the kernel, fill it
up, and then pass it back.  Much easier that way.
ok - but it will cause more syscalls which i wanted to prevent :/
Or use configfs/sysfs, passing structures in and out of the kernel is
not recommended for a large number of very good reasons (not the least
being 32/64bit reasons).
please tell me this reasons
good luck,

greg k-h