Re: why is there no squashfs support in the kernel?

On 5/4/07, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  just curious ... as i read it, you can get squashfs only by
downloading a patch and patching the kernel.  is there some reason it
hasn't just been accepted into mainline?

This seems like a question more appropriate for the squashfs
developers or perusing the lkml archives. Phillip has posted his code
a few times for review and requested inclusion a while back, and 3.2
was recently posted to LKML (in January). I found this discussion on
their sf forum:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1446126&forum_id=215700

So, on the one hand, I would say, ask Phillip if you're looking to
help him get it merged.

On the other, "some reason" is usually lack of effort on getting it
merged, intentionally or not. Going through Andrew's tree and
supporting any bugs found there in your code can be a bit of a
nightmare :)

For the record, I bet there's always a reason for any feature X that
exists only as a kernel patch not to yet have been accepted -- ranging
from lack of submission to not caring to who knows what.

Thanks,
Nish